Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

Saturday, May 4, 2013

My Vicarious Claim to Fame

As I touched on in yesterday's blog, sometimes I get to meet in person an artist who's work I have admired on-line. Today at the Whole Bead Show in Lynnwood, I got a chance to do just that.
  I first became aware of Kristi Bowman last year, during the "52 earrings in a year" challenge.  I got a chance to see some of her work in person last November during an artwalk in Edmonds, Washington. This lead to the purchase of a set of earrings that I love and get many compliments on.
   Today when I visited her booth, I noticed familiar earrings on her display.  I couldn't believe these had not sold long ago!  Needless to say, I had to think for less than a minute before I snapped them up.  I am not a huge fan of the current trend to incorporate fabric and ribbons into jewelery, but Kristi does it in a subdued manner that enhances the design rather than overpowering it.

And yes, I did post the picture that Kristi took of them rather than retake one of my own. I wish I could take photos this well.  Mine would not do them justice.
 I also picked up a number of her copper findings.  I can't wait to see what I can design using them.
 AND Kristi has just starting using polymer!  And for a beginner, she rocks it.  Her look is what I would describe as 'primative', which looks deceptively easy - but I know from experience, the primitive look is hard to achieve.
   A link to her blog can be found in "My Favorite Things" listing.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment