Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Rustication

I finally overcame my obsession with Controlled Marbling long enough to try out a new tutorial: Rustic Beads by Ginger Davis Allman at The Blue Bottle Tree.

My first attempts aren't as Rustic as hers, but then she wrote the book, so to speak.
On the first try, the beads came out way too thick and not battered enough.



So, after reducing the amount of clay and purchasing a "rustic tool" that Ginger recommended in the tut, these were the result.  Not quite what I expected, but I am not unhappy.  They aren't as, well for lack of a better term, rustic as those Ginger makes. I think that is because I tend to gravitate towards brighter, lighter colors.  I am going to try darker colors next time.

Kitten update:  I can't really call them kittens any more.  They are 5 months old and almost full grown.  Zinger had his "operation" last week and it did not go as well as Tofur's.  He apparently wiggled and twisted and squirmed around so much, he bumped his hinny against the cage and gave himself a nasty hematoma at the surgical site.  He has to wear a cone to prevent further damage. 
Sleeping off the effects of the day

Worming my way into Daddy's heart??


2 comments:

  1. Oh no, the cone of shame. Poor little Zinger. I do miss having kittens around. My four are all turning 11 this year and they're getting a bit...um...opinionated and lethargic in their old age. Oh well.

    Your beads turned out really well, JuLee. Some of mine are really colorful, too. I don't think that's a problem! That's why I like this technique and find it so addictive. You can make so many different looks. And some textures seem to call for certain color combinations, too. Keep up the good work, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm sure the laptop-turned-heatpad is helping him a bit <3

    I don't know what you wanted your beads to look like, but I like them! The ornamental ones are like made for me.

    ReplyDelete