Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Wonky abundant

I had an uninterrupted day in the studio this past weekend (ie ... no housework).  All I wanted to do was make more of the wonky bead shape I had discovered how to make the week before.  I experimented with different colors, even added mica powder to some of them for a little extra shine.
 

I was asked  lately whether I colored the beads before or after baking. That is a good question.  The answer is that it depends how the beads are colored.  The ones above were colored using PanPastel chalks.  Because chalk does not adhere well to a baked bead, you want to apply it to the raw clay.  After baking, shoe polish was applied  to protect the finish and antique the textured areas.
    Below is a close up were the fine texture can be seen better.


The beads I featured last week were baked first, then painted.  There is a difference in the finish, depending upon which route you take.  Both ways work, it just depends which look you are going for.

I did have time to try one other shapes (still not tired of wonky, just looking for more ways to finished them)
Rolled beads, colored with chalks.





1 comment:

  1. Beautiful beads!!! Thank you for sharing your tips. I have always wanted to try chalk - the colors are just lovely and the finish is great!!!

    ReplyDelete